How do you treat ich on koi and goldfish? Sooner or later your fish will get sick and catch ich and you will need to learn how to get rid of ich quick. Ich or ick (ichthyophthirius multifilis) is a very common parasite among fish and it can quickly spread and totally cover your koi fish or goldfish. Ich is also known as white spot disease which appears on the body of the fish like small grains of salt that can quickly overtake the fish and in some cases can cause death. These ich parasites need to be eliminated quick and here I am going to show you several ways and what types of fish medication you can use so you can learn how to treat ich on koi fish, goldfish and other types of fish.
The first thing you will need to do to treat ich on fish is to buy the right fish medication to do the job. There are many forms of ich treatment that you can buy that will get rid of ich quick. The fish medication that I like to use that is extremely effective in the treatment of ich is Malachite Green. Malachite green should be used for 10 days to fully ensure that each ich parasites are dead and that another infestation to occur.
How To Treat Ich On Koi Fish and Goldfish?
1. Perform a 25% water change before treatment begins for ich.
2. Remove activated carbon from aquarium filter or pond filter.
3. Increase aeration during ich treatment as fish medication lowers oxygen levels in your aquarium or pond.
4. Add 1 teaspoon or 5 ml of Malachite Green for every 50 gallons of water.
5. Observe koi fish for any signs of distress and if koi fish show any signs of stress, such as gasping at the surface perform immediate 25% water change and add activated carbon back to filter to remove ich treatment medication.
6. If no signs of stress are present, treat koi fish for 10 days and do a 25% water change in between treatments.
When treating ich fish disease be sure to treat for the full recommended treatment as suggested by the ich treatment medication that you are using. Ich or commonly known as white spot disease can only be killed during the free swimming stage. Once the eggs hatch is when the fish medication goes to work to get rid of ich. Malachite green is an effective treatment medication against ich. Once you know how to treat ich fish disease you should have any problem treating against it. Knowledge is the key to fish care when it comes to common fish diseases and parasites.